Use Case: Smart Cities
IoT Innovations Shape Cities of Tomorrow
Smart cities are among the most exciting advancements in the Internet of Things. IoT technologies have the potential to propel better transportation flow and safety, more efficient energy management and resources with power, buildings, lights and water and connected city services to improve the health and satisfaction of residents.
Central command of various smart city departments will allow for faster reaction to address emergencies and save lives.
IoT Security Challenges for Smart Cities
Smart cities involve the most complexity for IoT security. Combining devices, networks and city assets that include schools, libraries, transportation systems, hospitals, power plants, water supply networks, waste management, law enforcement, and other community services exposes many challenges.
- Sensors in most equipment are hackable and can be fed fake data – causing signal failures across traffic systems or leading to contaminants leeching into the local water supply
- Central command facilities are targets to take control over large areas of services
- DDoS attacks prevent delivery of services and frustrate residents
- Confidential data susceptible from devices and mobile apps traveling to and from the Cloud
- Low power devices run hot with less uptime using heavy load security
- Footprint limitations exist for security solutions on many devices and appliances
- Bandwidth or network constraints with large data transmissions impact users
CENTRI IoTAS Secures Smart Cities
The CENTRI IoTAS platform is a scalable, software-only solution to meet the IoT security problems facing smart cities.
IoTAS completely encrypts and optimizes the data via applications and the Cloud and provides additional authentication of devices to ensure equipment and data are secure in all states – at rest, in motion and on endpoints. Secure central command of unmanned equipment is assured with an IoT security layer that works with existing infrastructure and devices.
With available forensics and analytics dashboards, IoTAS system administrators have visibility to all anomalies and user behavior across smart city assets.
- Central command centers
- Smart city equipment and devices
- Mobile applications
- Gateway appliance
- Databases and distributed servers
- Centralized command of equipment
- Smart city device assets
- Sensitive customer data
CENTRI IoTAS Benefits for Smart Cities
- Flexible installations in endpoints, gateways, apps, and the Cloud
- Complete security protects city assets and data
- Maximum uptime of low power, mission-critical devices
- DDoS mitigation keeps services running and residents happy