Use Case: Smart Homes
IoT Powers the Connected Home
Smart homes powered by IoT connected devices to Cloud services are making our lives safer, more efficient and more comfortable.
Energy management with lights and thermostats controlled inside and outside of the home save costs and increase comfort. Surveillance and security systems improve safety for loved ones and properties with remote monitoring. Smart entertainment solutions in the home will maximize your enjoyment. Connected and automated appliances will communicate issues to address problems in advance and free your time.
Home insurance savings will also help to drive adoption of home automation technologies over time.
IoT Security Challenges for Smart Homes
While the smart home brings many benefits, it generates a number of security challenges. Most of the services in the home are delivered by separate devices and providers, making it difficult to ensure uniform protection unless secure gateway appliances are implemented. Many device makers deliver finished goods with out of date security methods. Hackers focus on these flaws to control actions of home devices, disrupt services and gain access via Wi-Fi networks to wreak more havoc on the Web.
- Weak out-of-the-box device authentication to ensure trusted connections
- DDoS attacks prevent delivery of services and frustrate consumers
- Confidential data susceptible from devices and mobile apps traveling to and from the Cloud
- Low power devices run hot with less uptime using heavy load security
- Footprint limitations exist for security solutions on many devices and appliances
- Bandwidth or network constraints with large data transmissions impact home users
CENTRI IoTAS Secures Smart Homes
The CENTRI IoTAS platform protects smart home products from chip to Cloud.
The small 50kB footprint of IoTAS allows ultimate flexibility for manufacturers to install the software on endpoints, gateways, large appliances and mobile applications to the Cloud. Secure hardware-based ID on initialization establishes trust without the need to exchange certificates to prevent connections from unauthorized devices and users.
Ultra-fast simultaneous data encryption and optimization in motion and at rest provides complete protection for users without a single byte sent in the clear. Man-in-the-middle attacks are exposed and Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks launched from devices can never begin when the device only accepts verified commands protected by IoTAS.
Cache-mapping technology and efficient algorithms result in <2% CPU utilization to maximize uptime of battery-powered smart home devices.
- Home Automation device
- Mobile applications
- Gateway appliance
- Databases and distributed servers
- Control of home automation devices
- Confidential customer data (PII)
CENTRI IoTAS Benefits for Smart Homes
- Flexible installations in endpoints, gateways, apps, and the Cloud
- Complete security protects your valuable brand
- Maximum uptime of low power, mission-critical devices
- DDoS mitigation keeps services running and customers happy